Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Humbert, You Dog: 7 Canine Appearances in Lolita

--Dogs play some part in Humbert's psyche, as he remembers them from his childhood: "I grew, a happy, healthy child in a bright world of illustrated books, clean sand, orange trees, friendly dogs, sea vistas and smiling faces" (10).
--The limousine driver carting Humbert to Charlotte's house nearly runs over a dog: "Speaking of sharp turns: we almost ran over a meddlesome suburban dog (one of those who lie in wait for cars) as we swerved into Lawn Street" (36).
--When Humbert tells Lo to "Take it easy": "(Down, poor beast, down.) Also, though the reference is not obviously canine, I think it is worth mentioning in light of the first near-roadkill experience: "Presently, making a sizzling sound with her lips, she started complaining of pains, said she could not sit, said I had torn something inside her. The sweat rolled down my neck, and we almost ran over some little animal or other that was crossing the road with tail erect" (141).
--Humbert refers to himself as "nature's faithful hound" (135).
--Humbert does once refer to Lo as a "little bitch"--"She would be, figuratively speaking, wagging her tiny tail, her whole behind in fact as little bitches do" (164).
--Immediately after, Humbert's description of Lo sitting in his lap rings a canine bell--"I liked the cool feel of armchair leather against my massive nakedness as I held her in my lap" (165).
--Humbert complains when Lolita plays with a dog, not him--ironically after considering the last quote--"There she was playing with a damned dog, not me" (236).

Like the dead, the dogs are abundant in Lolita and seem to be a pertinent theme to touch upon; in what depth, I am not sure, though it may be smart to pay attention to the way Humbert illustrates himself and Lo as dogs most often, but not too many other (if any) people.

No comments:

Post a Comment